Monday 19 January 2015

Lorraine Brown - Week #4

With all the colour experimenting on this blog it is inevitable that some weeks the washing girls may have chosen the same or similar colour palette but as we know with this beautiful medium no two washes are ever the same so seeing the same colour from different ideas just makes building a reference source even stronger.
In prep for posting on the Wash a Week blog I did some pre Christmas to get a feel for how to proceed and this has shown me how valuable taking time to do these little wash studies are.

This is the colour study and quick sketch I did for painting a Flamingo. It helped me tremendously to create a finished larger work as I had my colour choices sorted and the values worked out.
My colours are:

  • Bloodstone Genuine - guess I will tire of it sometime soon but as a new paint to me I am loving it (Daniel Smith)
  • Quinacridone Gold (Winsor & Newton)
  • Quinacridone Coral (Daniel Smith)
  • Scarlet Lake (Winsor & Newton)


I added to this colour study this week by trying combinations of the yellow and reds, letting them mix on the paper, how useful they are for creating orange/red Poppies
                                          1. Quinacridone Gold/Quinacridone Coral
                                          2. Quinacridone Gold/Scarlet Lake
Not having a blue in my 4 colour study prevented me getting a stem colour but the idea here was to test the yellows/reds/oranges and see how more interesting they are with their variation than a tube orange would be.