Thursday 22 January 2015

Lori Bentley Week #4

Although I had planned to post something else, I have shifted it down my schedule to tackle the monthly wash challenge set by Olivia. I have never tried sponges with watercolour before and was quite keen to try.

I am very keen on wildlife conservation. It plays a big part in my life and I decided that I would do some research into South African species on the Red data list. It is a depressingly long list and quite difficult to deal with unless you are well-versed in the Latin names of all creatures. I came across the Riverine Rabbit. A rabbit that lives in the semi-desert regions of the Karroo.

When I was painting in Vandy's studio these holidays, she mentioned a techniques she learned last year, where you immerse your paper in water so it is really soaked. This is exactly what I did. Super wet paper, a natural sponge and Windsor & Newton Quinacridone Gold and Sepia.

Step one:

Step two:
Adding some detail with watercolour pencils when dry.


Step three:
More sponging with the same colours


Step four:
Softening the edges and finishing off with brushwork.


Paper: Daler Rowney fine grain, cold-pressed NOT 300gsm