Tuesday 14 July 2015

Vandy Massey - Week #29

I'm currently enjoying a festival of watercolour at the Brioude Biennale with Olivia - so there's not much time to actually paint.

I took the easy route with the challenge and painted with my fingers and fingernail - without much conviction that I would end up with anything much more than smudges.

So I settled down today and painted the stone wall in this French garden, with the towels hanging on the line in front of it, and a row of tomato plants growing against the wall.



I was surprised by the level of detail I could get in the folds of the towels.


And here is the first layer, before I added the details. As you can see from my fingernail, this was just after the tomatoes had been added to the image.
Strangely, I found it easier to paint with my middle finger than with my forefinger.

Colours:
Wall: Sepia and Burnt sienna
Plants: Green gold, Cascade Green, Cadmium Red, Transparent Orange
Towels: Winsor violet, Cascade Green, FUB
Pegs (just for fun): Cadmium Red, Winsor Turquoise, FUB 

Good challenge - stretched my thinking.