Monday 20 July 2015

Vandy Massey - Week #30

Davy's Grey mixed with a range of colours

Sharing a page from my colour notebook this week. Davy's Grey is amongst the many pearls of watercolour wisdom I picked up at Brioude's Biennale.

This one came from the marvellous Véronique Piaser-Moyen who also happens to be one of the contributing artists for Running with Brushes. It was brilliant to meet her and to be able to watch her paint. The Grey she uses in her glorious flower paintings is Davy's Grey from Winsor and Newton. When I asked her about it she said she uses it because its a lovely soft neutral grey which can be tinted with any colour.

So I tried it - and this is the result of my experiment. A range of colours (noted above) were painted into wet Davy's Grey to see how they 'greyed down'. None went muddy and they all just softened beautifully. The granulating colours (FUB and Viridian) still granulate in the Davey's Grey. I mixed the colours on the paper in this exercise, but would probably mix more on the palette for a consistent colour.