Wednesday 14 January 2015

Lorraine Brown - Wash Week #3

My experimenting with some new colour combinations and recording them is starting to provide a great little reference folio. I recently painted sunflowers using a "fresh bunch" and started by first doing a little colour study to pick which colours I would use for the work. I also love to paint those not so pretty bits of nature like thistles and weeds and recalled the sunflower fields I saw in France a few years back after a heat wave had left them dry and wilting. I made another colour sampler and study but I in fact moved on from the flowers so a second painting has not yet eventuated but now I have the record for my file it is a subject I can go back to at anytime.


Colour Sampler and Study # 1 for Sun Flowers
  • Old Favourites:  Winsor & Newton- French Ultra Marine Blue,  Quinacridone Gold, Winsor Yellow
  • New Favourites: Daniel Smith - Bloodstone Genuine, Perylene Maroon




Colour Sampler and Study #2 for Sun Flowers
  • Old Favourites:  Winsor & Newton- French Ultra Marine Blue, Quinacridone Gold
  • New Favourites: Daniel Smith - Bloodstone Genuine, Perylene Maroon, Cascade Green

The Centres of the flowers were very exciting to paint as the Daniel Smith colours really granulate and dropping the French Ultra Marine blue in and watching texture appear without the aid salt was quite surprising and such a benefit.

Sun Tough
Arches Rough 300gsm
57cm x 38cm