Thursday 9 April 2015

Lori Bentley Week #15

I loved the effects of the warm colours from week #13, so I created another little kingfisher. This time an African Pygmy Kingfisher, which has different colouring on its wings.

As before  - sketched with a red watercolour pencil. The warm colours were burnt sienna, purple lake, alizarin crimson and cadmium yellow pale.


Once dry, the blue of the wings was added using Intense blue and dioxazine violet. in order to stop the rather enthusiastically applied colour from running into the warm colour, I tilted the paper and got this wave of colour that slightly ran away from me.


A bit of smoothing, more intense pigment applied (I don't think it has worked well on the lower body), washing back the wave and finally branch eye and beak details applied.